Sunday, January 31, 2016

Thing 23: Making It All Work Together

Thing 23: Making It All Work Together


Screenshot of my Hootsuite account from Hootsuite.com

This final module is especially well situated. What better way to end this course, where we tried so many new applications, than with advise on how to manage them all? To really engage with Rudai 23, I gave everything a go and actively thought of ways in which I could use the applications in my library. The changing nature of this profession means we have to move outside of our comfort zone and constantly make ourselves relevant. These tools are what current children and students are using at a basic level. It is essential we are familiar with their workings and try to integrate them as much as possible. What may seem like an effort for us, will just be normal service delivery for the students. Traditional learning methods have evolved. In order to reach the new audience, library service needs to keep up. Student's books are being replaced by iPads, teachers are grading from electronic assignments, even at a primary school level. Applications to assist this process are constantly being developed.  If we can use CPD courses like Rudai 23 to stay ahead of the game, our libraries will be innovation centres. Children, parents, students, researchers and academics will be, indeed are,  coming to us to see how the latest trends and applications are being applied. 

As evident in this course, with all these new applications there has to be a system of management. With so many log-in codes and passwords to match a multitude of accounts, a single sign-in system and interface seems the most reasonable of requests. Although, because so many of the applications are delivered by different designers, a single free system doesn't seem very likely. Of course, in any given library, it would be impossible for a single librarian to keep active and involved in all of the applications mentioned in this course. The idea is to dip in and out of them when you need them and just use the tools that make your job easier, not more complicated. For me there are a few core tools that I use on a regular basis, such as Twitter and Google Apps. I use LinkedIn and Facebook less regularly, but like to keep an eye on the accounts. So these are the tools I'm focusing on when I think of social media management. 

I haven't gotten it all figures out yet, but I do use Hootsuite
I love when Hootesuite goes to sleep!
I set up an account a couple of months ago, on advise from Niamh, to manage the Twitter accounts I have admin access to. Currently I have access to four professional accounts and my own Twitter account. Although Hootsuite only let's you add three accounts, as Niamh pointed out, you can have various streams in your news feed. I have added my account, the @WRSLAI account and @RNIreland. The other accounts I can add a stream to. So whenever there is activity on the account, it will appear in the stream. I can then just log in and react to that as necessary. It would be nice to flip between them all, but I guess these applications have to make money somehow! However, when I am at a conference for one of the other accounts, I just temporarily delete one of the current accounts, add the relevant one and then reinstate the account when I am done. Regarding switching between accounts while in the Hootsuite application, it is important to ensure that you are tweeting from the correct account, you may forget that you have switched handles. The various accounts have different audiences. I was at an @Iamslicorg conference, tweeting from the account, reminding participants to vote for the new secretary, and I accidentally tweeting this message from @WRSLAI. Not a crisis, but the information was only relevant to members of IAMSLIC. You don't want to annoy your audience with unnecessary Tweets. Also Niamh and I discovered that two people cannon manage the same account using Hootsuite. Niamh had @WRSLAI in her Hootsuite account and when I added it to mine, it disabled it from her account. However, I think Hootsite is great, especially for keeping an eye on hashtags at conferences as highlighted by Niamh. 
I will give Flipboard a go at integrating my Linked and Facebook accounts and see how I get on. 

My Feedly.com home screen
Feedly has been a life saver for moderating this course. I had over 20 different active bloggers to moderate for Rudai 23. I had the list of their blog titles and it would have been impossible to keep checking all 20 blogs each day for a new posts, especially when people were blogging in totally different patterns. I opened a feedly account and added the URLs for the blogs. This took a little effort, but was worth it in the long run, saving hours and keeping me constantly updated on my participants. The names of the blogs appear on the left and in the right news feed, it highlights any new posts I haven't marked as read. Genius! I can see how it would be great to moderate various library blogs also. When browsing the web I come across excellent library blogs, but may forget to check back to this. I can now simply add to my feedly account and their new posts will pop up. Feedly gives you a few paragraphs of the post and then the option of clicking through to the website or blog. I love it!

....and yes, I will now give myself that pat on the back, yipee I've just finished Rudai 23 :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment